Kitch's Blog

Friday, August 11, 2006


Reaction to "The World is Flat"-
As I read this book, I definitely had a huge range of emotions. The first emotion, was one of shock. I was shocked at how quickly the world "flattened" (about one decade). Like Jessica pointed out in the meeting, I also remember barely using computers in high school. Really, I just used them for simple word processing, to now when I get on the Internet daily, email daily, and now blog. Fear was another emotion I felt. Fear as to how quickly the flattening seems to be changing the world that my daughter will one day enter. The competition for the next generation will be different and quite competitive as children from all nations essentially will be trying to get the same job. With this fear, also came the emotion of anxiety. I feel that there is an urgency to examine the way we teach and make sure we are pushing our students to "learn to learn", critically think, problem solve and have a strong work ethic. I truly feel that without these essential things, our students will not get and keep the jobs of the future. This then points the finger at me, the teacher. How am I going ensure that the students that enter my classroom leave with these essential abilities? What are some strategies that I can use in my classroom to create "self thinkers" that have the ability to use the resources in their world to find truths, expand their thinking and become innovators.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I really like the way you framed this. Moving from your varying reactions and emotions to stepping up and taking on the challenge of doing your best to help our students be successful.

While fear (particularly for one's own children) is a common reaction (and one I share somewhat), I also try to come away from this book with hope - hope that our world can become a place where all children - no matter where they happened to be born - will have the opportunity to lead successful, happy and fulfilled lives. And that the world as a whole will be a better place for that.

Friday, August 11, 2006 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger Wallace said...

I am currently reading the world is flat and yes it does seem very pessimistic at times. However the one point that I agree with is that the more we outsource jobs, the more time we will have in order to come up with new jobs and become a think tank if you will. As long as we can get across to the students the importance of thinking for themselves and trying their hardest, that is the best we can do.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home