Kitch's Blog

Friday, February 02, 2007


As we continue exploring construcivism and looking at student learning, we often have conversations within our office about the methods that we are trying, the changes in our grading/assessing, and how constructism is taking shape in our individual classrooms. I think that this conversation is so essential to the chance and thought processes. And, I have truly loved the fact that so many of my fellow World Language teachers are part of the 21st Century Team and bring all of their ideas to the table.
With that said, I also want to address some hardship with this as well. It is inevitable that sometimes in our discussions of constructivism some people feel like their toes are being stepped on. I am wondering if this is a common problem. Sometimes I even find myself feeling this, then I remember, that is the exact reason for this committee to question and critically think about teaching and learning. How do you have these disscusions without people feel like you are criticing them, rather just having a discussion about new ideas about what is best for kids?

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for that - I've encountered much the same thing (in case you haven't noticed!). I think the only thing we can say is what you said, that we truly are just having a discussion about what's best for kids. We may not all end up agreeing, but I think the conversation is critical. If folks are willing to accept that and join the conversation - and make their case - then that only makes the conversation better (and, ultimately, helps kids the most). If they are unwilling to join the conversation, and unwilling to examine their own teaching practices, then I'm not sure there's much we can do.

Friday, February 02, 2007 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger S. Cornils said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger S. Cornils said...

Barb and Karl,

You both present valid points regarding the framing of conversations. It does at times appear that some individuals are sensitive, arrogant, distant, defensive, etc. I believe an effective group approach is to avoid a voice of authority, sidestep the tendency to label ideas as "innovative" or "old school," and dodge the gossip to find like minds. People shut down when they feel professionally attacked or judged. No one wants to believe they are doing kids a disservice – hopefully! Part of my understanding of constructivism is that the learner may muddle through the process to find a deeper connection. I think that muddling can be part of the big picture; however, individuals respond differently to uncertainty. It all boils down to maintaining respect with our colleagues as we journey down the path of preparing students for tomorrow. Do you hear echoes of the Wizard of OZ theme song?

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home