Kitch's Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

After again getting on the Fischbowl and reading the article in the Washington Post I have other concerns/questions/ideas. (Of course you do Barb :) Anyway, the statement that the computers didn't improve student achievement bothered me. First of all we aren't testing all achievement. How do we know that it didn't increase technology literacy, reading for valitity, students' organization and ability to share note, ideas, and hypothosis with others, application of concepts, synthesis of content, crossculicular connections? What exactly do those achievent tests to which they are refering in the article test? Assessments are going to need some huge adjustments as this wave of 21st century takes form.
I agree with the article and Karl's comments on the Fischbowl that there will be a dire need for staff developement before lap tops become an essential school supply for all students. But we need to ask ourselves, when we are in our offices at our desks how much are we on our computers?
By the way, sorry that I may be the most annoying blogger ever :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think assessment - what and how and why we choose to assess - is going to be a critical piece in 21st century education. Assessment has also been the greatest stumbling block for me personally as well - how do we really know when students are learning/growing/succeeding?

Can you clarify what you are asking/implying with "when we are in our offices at our desks how much are we on our computers?" Maybe I'm just tired, but I'm missing it at the moment.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:41:00 PM  
Blogger bkitch said...

I am just implying that we couldn't get through our day anymore without our computer. It is our source of communication (email) our sorce of organization, our source of information, everything. Yet so many are still wondering what students would accomplish with lap tops the they don't have now. It is life today and image a student's notes when they can clip in images as they take notes, link to sites to refer to, link to a quick video to help them visualize and internalize what they took notes on. I think that I still don't realize the implications that lap tops could have.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:14:00 AM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Got it. I agree, I think none of us realize all the implications . . .

Friday, December 15, 2006 3:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home