Kitch's Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I may be stuck in the 20th century!


Vocabulary, Vocabulary, Vocabulary


A big part of learning a new language is simply expanding your vocabulary in the language. To successfully learn Spanish I think there are 2 huge components. Learning grammar (how to use verbs, adjectives, etc to put the language together) and learning vocabulary.


To teach vocabulary I go over word meaning, try to make word connections (like comparing the word to an English word, or Spanish word they already know, or making a fun rhyme or joke with the word: my favorite being cebolla = onion in Spanish so we say, "-say boy a- breath smells" to remember it :) Anyway, we also use pictures and do as many in class activities as possible to also practice the vocabulary.


However when it comes down to it, learning Spanish vocabulary is nothing more than memorizing new words to add to your working vocabulary. And this goes back to basic rote memorization! Although I feel like I have come a long way in 21st century: I use conjuguemos to practice vocabulary, wiki with recordings to do speaking assessments and listening activities, I use voicethread, blogging and live blogging :) But if students don't know the vocabulary they are unable to do well on any activity! And I feel like it all goes back to whether the students study the words to memorize them and make them part of their working Spanish knowledge. Am I still stuck in the 20th century or are they some things that must be learned the old way?
By the way, do they still make floppy disks? :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with memorizing vocabulary - I think it's much more important what you have them do with it once they know it. If it begins and ends with memorizing, then we're in trouble.

Having said that, however, I'm curious. Are you having your own children memorize words in English as they learn to speak?

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger bkitch said...

Good question, yes, we have weekly vocabulary lists in our house :) Just kidding, you are so right, of course not, so why doesn't emersion also just work in my classroom???
:) but... Mary does have new vocabulary words every week from school to practice and learn :)

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home