Kitch's Blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

As I continue to think about my teaching, teaching in general, grading, assessing, etc. I am continuing to waver in my thinking, which always happenes. I am a true believer in grading on knowledge and that my job is here to help students learn new concepts and ways of thinking. In addition, I think that students should have the opportunity to make up work, re-take quizzes and have the opportunity to show understanding/proficiency of a topic to regain points.
With that said, I struggle because I also believe in a strong work ethic. I know that we can make a different category and put grades under it, and I like that, but I really hate the idea that this is a non-accedemic area (although many have renamed it). I think that this generation and mine seem to have less work ethic. Sometimes things are not glamorous, fun or exciting, but necessary to do. (And sometimes, believe it or not, these non glamorous skills help you succeed the most in your life.)
One of my biggest pet peeves is when you announce the need for taking notes of reading for understanding in class and you get the eye rolling from the students. 2 things about this frustrate me. 1. That students think it is okay to roll their eyes at adults, teachers especially. 2. that students don't see any need to practice these skills. These may be the skills that I use the most as an adult. After all, how do you think I research all of this information on constructivist teaching, good teaching practices, and what aspects of education are working in other cultures? I read for comprehension and take notes for myself!!!
I guess I am just still struggling with what a constructivist classroom truly is. Because I feel that reading for comprehension is a type of autonomous learning (constructivism) where students are constructing their own thoughts and knowledge from the text being read.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

It's a struggle for all of us. If it was easy, anybody could do it!

That's why this is a three-year program (and really will continue beyond that). It's going to take time to think through everything, try and modify new approaches, and come to some kind of resolution for yourself about how you teach (not that it won't keep evolving).

So, specifically, what are you struggling with in terms of work ethic? How to include it in your grading? Or are you worried about the effect it might have if you separate it out?

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger bkitch said...

I think I am worried most about the perception that it is not important because it is given less points or not considered acedemic in the grade book. Yes understanding is my ultimate goal, but producing caring, motivated and hard working adults is a close second.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:38:00 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I agree that that is a really important goal. I guess my question for you (and for myself) is - How does homework/make up work/retakes, etc. factor into this? Does setting a firm deadline and sticking to it really teach responsibility? (I just finished reading a book that indicates that there is absolutly no research on this topic - so save yourself the time and don't go looking for it. :-) ) And I'm not saying that deadlines aren't important, I'm just not sure that saying "That was your one shot to prove what you know, too bad," is really in the best interests of our students.

And I'll finish with one more question. You say "I think I am worried most about the perception that it is not important because it is given less points or not considered acedemic in the grade book." I'm concerned because this again reflects many people's (not necessarily yours) viewpoints that the grade determines what is important. So how can we make changes so that what is important is what is important?

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home