Kitch's Blog

Wednesday, February 07, 2007


Okay, so I think I might be making some progress with my "big picture". I want my students to communicate, communicate, communicate. And not just with me, but with eachother, with other non-native Spanish students, with native speakers, etc. So then my question becomes how do I make this happen. Well, the communication with me and with fellow students in Spanish is the easy part. Just make communication the center of my classroom. I think that this big idea on its own helps me create a constuctivist classroom. Because how can we possible communicate with eachother (I am not talking about memorized dialog, rather actual communication), if it is not personal to each of us?

The part that I am now trying to expand in my classroom in communication with others, other students in other classroom in the USA and around the world. This is where Skype would definitely be awesome to learn and incorporate into the classroom.

I am constantly trying to integrate that communication piece however possible. My students currently have epals from Heritage High School. In addition I have recently connected to a teacher in Missouri and a teacher in Cuernavaca Morelos Mexico that would also like to have our students communicate. However, I don't think I am very efficient at trying to set up all of the logistics with this communication. I am hoping that Skype may help with this.

While I was signing up for Skype and browsing it, I also found a guy who is doing Spanish lessons on there where you can ask questions live and such starting February 11th, that could be interesting to check out too.

Any great ideas out there for how to incorporate more authentic Spanish?

1 Comments:

Blogger T Sale said...

It seems to me that connecting with a class from a Spanish speaking country would be a powerful way for students to test their langauge skills (and maybe learn some cool slang along the way). I don't know anything about Skype yet, but I keep hearing about it, so I guess I better check it out. I've had communication from a teacher in Connecticut who wants to collaborate, and I'm thinking about using Google Docs to have students look at one another's writing. I wonder if you could have your students work on a writing together on Google Docs and help each other with vocab and grammar.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 10:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home