Kitch's Blog

Friday, April 27, 2007

What is a "hard" teacher?
Okay so as some of you heard me vent a little at the last 21st century meeting, I am sick to death of the adjectives "easy", "hard" and "fun" being used to describe teachers/classes. We need to expand the students vocabulary as to how they define classes/teachers.
The terms"easy" and "fun" usually give people an image of a ridiculous blow off class in which no "real" or "hard" work is required. And I truly believe that students, parents, other teachers, and administrators that hear these terms think that little to no learning is probably done in these classes.
This really bothers me. Are we saying that learning can't ever be fun? Or that the only definition on fun in a class equals playing games? Isn't it just possible that kids engaged in a class and motivated (due to their own ideas being integrated) is why they classify a class/teacher as "fun"?
Now lets take the adjective "hard". What does that mean? Boring? 20 pages of homework a night? Sheer lack of understanding of the subject matter?
I guess I get tired of people getting incorrect images about classes/teacher because of these types of adjectives being tossed around.
I loved Marlys' comment that we need to then ask the students, "What did you learn from that class/teacher or but did you learn alot? Or... What did you walk away with from that class?"
I guess I am just hoping that we can redefine some of these adjectives and replace them with other ones that really talk about the learning.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl Makovsky said...

Bravo, Barb. I agree completely with you. Students often equate "hard" with "unreasonable" or "mean." When we teachers say "hard," we mean "promotes higher level thinking and creativity." Students and teachers don't see this eye-to-eye. We need to educate our students!

Sunday, April 29, 2007 5:17:00 PM  
Blogger lgaffney said...

I thought of you today Barb. I overheard my sophomores talking about who they were taking next year because he/ she was "easy" or "hard". Being the inquiring mind that I am, I asked "what do you mean when you say a teacher is 'easy' or 'hard'?" They said a hard teacher grades hard, is very strict with their rules, and never gives "A"s. I asked if those characteristics meant they learned more in those classes and they said most definitely not, that a lot of times in a "hard" teacher's class they don't pay attention and they learn less because they feel like there's no way they can ever be successful.
Although these are just the responses of a few kids, they are a pretty eclectic group--"A" students to "F" students, "over-acheivers" and strugglers. So maybe you should feel good about being an "easy" teacher. :)

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl Makovsky said...

After 30 years of teaching, I now have the scoop, thanks to my two teenaged sons. To them--and I suspect to most teenagers--the most important characteristic of a teacher is how "nice" that teacher is.

I know that sounds trite. But my sons don't care about how qualified or challenging or prepared a teacher is. They care about how "nice" he/she is.

I think that says volumes about where a teenager sits.

(Please--if any teenagers are reading this blog, would you respond? Do you agree or disagree with my sons?)

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 8:23:00 PM  
Blogger bkitch said...

Thanks for the comment Cheryl, I agree. When it was all said and done I would have to agree that I have the best memories of my "nice" teachers too!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home