Kitch's Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Same old discussions, different day.....
Okay so I love how much 21st century has me thinking about what is best for students, my grading, what I am doing in my classroom and what assignments I value enough to be taken home for homework assignments. However, sometimes I feel like the conversation train is on a circular track? Or maybe it needs to be on this track before it can finally veer in a different direction.
Even in my own head, my thoughts often seem to be on the same track, so how do I move on?
People who value responsibilty or work ethic vs people who value the content knowledge seems to be an ongoing controversy. And the same questions always come about. Doesn't work ethic make you successful as an adult? How can I not count off for tardies, having materials and turning in work? Aren't some of those non curriculars just as important, if not more in life? Others argue.... Don't we want our grades to reflect ability, understanding, and learning?
I would argue that when I was in high school and college I didn't learn to think a lot. I memorized a ton (mostly facts I could never remember today) and learned a ton of tricks/loop holes to taking tests and writing papers. I even remember checking out a book about how to pass an essay test without knowing anything. The book taught tricks like if you don't know a specific year say in the early 1900's, or if you don't know a specific state write on the western slope or in America.
Anyway, I got off topic. My point is, is it possible to move these conversations forward, or are these questions just something we need to be continually examining?
I give nor deduct credit for bringing a book, having a pencil, even turning a paper in on time. Wrong? Teaching irresponsibility? Shouldn't there be some insentive for the kids who turn it in on time? I still argue learning is the insentive. I still don't understand not allowing make up/late work. If your objective is to teach algera or whatever and a student does an assignment and wants to work toward learning/mastery of that content, I still don't understand why we (as teachers) wouldn't want that motivation and learning (even if it came a bit late).
I do believe that often greater learning comes from mistakes rather than successes. However, shouldn't we be able to learn from mistakes and create opportunities from them?
I am rambling a bit, but I still have a great deal of frustration of the circular track and how to keep moving the train (conversation). I am hoping that another dose of Tony Winger at 21st Century will help. Any thoughts from anyone else on where that pendulum should be?

2 Comments:

Blogger T Sale said...

I too think I'm experiencing deja vu in some of our conversations, but I've come to the conclusion that it's a necessary step in changing some basic assumptions and longtime habits. The fact that we're having these conversations at all -- teachers comparing grading practices and what we value in a grade -- is a huge step forward. Our little teaching globe has already flattened quite a bit.

I have found myself letting go of several "have to's" for my students this year. Once a week we do a little editing practice, correcting flawed sentences as a class. I ask the students to write the sentence in blue or black ink and correct it in red or some other contrasting color. I used to make a big deal of it when they wouldn't use their "editing pens." I've decided that the conversations we have about how to fix a comma splice or why we should use a semicolon instead of a period are mush more important than what color pen they use. (By the way, I imagine it sounds pretty English-teacherish to get excited over the correct use of a semicolon, and editing practice may sound rather dry, but in their self-reflections, many of my students cite it as the most helpful activity we do. Comma rules: relative certainty amidst all that confusing talk about themes and symbolism....)

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think it is sometimes circular, but I also think that's the nature of reflection. If it was easy, if there was just a straight line track to the finish line, then we all would've figured it out a long time ago. I think it takes a lot of conversation, a lot of hard thinking and reflection, and sometimes changing your mind (or at least part of your mind) many times before you find the right track for you. (Not that we'll ever be "done" thinking about this, but you hopefully will get to a more comfortable place eventually). And, trust me, I feel your pain - I'm trying to manage/facilitate/occasionally direct 48 separate circular tracks - plus my own!

The idea of bringing Tony back is to do just that - to help folks confront some of those ideas once again. Sometimes bringing someone in from the outside - especially someone as thoughtful as Tony - is what it takes to help us move forward.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home