Kitch's Blog

Monday, February 12, 2007

Connection, connections, connections...
One thing that I am excited about when I look forward to next year and having some planning times for PLCs in an Cross-Curricular PLC. When I read the Fischbowl and look at Clay Burell who is getting people all over the country to share a wiki, I have to ask myself why are more content areas not doing this here at AHS?
For example, I just read Allison McBride's blog about her wiki about the French Revolution as my year 4 students just studied Goya and his paintings and how they were effected by the French Revolution. How great if we could connect some of this learning.
Larry Kleeman and I spoke about this at the last 21st century meeting and I hope that the PLC will be able to be created. I also think that this type of integrated learning expands the big picture for students for an even better understanding of the world and the cause and effect of things within it.
I just think that we can promote so much critical thinking and inquiry through the integration of multiple curricular areas working together!

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

While a cross-curricular PLC is a good idea, is there a reason that we can't accomplish a lot of what you are talking about through a combination of 21c, technology, and creative use of time?

Touch base with Alison and see if there are other connections coming up - or if there's still something you could do with this one. And, if not this year, make a note in your lesson plans or on your calendar to work together on at least this topic next year.

Maybe you could even post some ideas here on your blog about upcoming topics. Just talking about whatever tense or grammar you will be working on may not spur any connections, but any of the influences like Goya and the French Revolution that might be coming up might connect to someone else.

Monday, February 12, 2007 8:59:00 PM  
Blogger Kristin L said...

Yes--It's ironic that in so many of our classes we seek to break down the walls of the classroom for our students and engage them in "real-life learning," but we have trouble knocking down the walls of our offices to share our lessons. Sometimes I don't even know what my own deskmates are doing in class!

One of the best parts of 21c is the time we get to collaborate. I've freely stolen ideas from McBride, Crosby, Hatak, and other non-English teachers, and some of them have significantly improved the focus and cohesion of my units.

I wish there were a way to share ideas more directly, especially because not everyone takes the time to blog about their lessons (myself included).

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home