Kitch's Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Are we really teaching responsibility with a zero or with a deduction of points?
I am often unpopular with my views on the whole responsibility issue. I allow students to retake, resubmit, or hand assignments in late. If an assignment is not turned in at all, obviously that student receives a grade of a zero. However, when that assignment is handed in I replace the grade with no deduction for tardiness of the assignment. Many argue and have argued that I am actually teaching irresponsibility. Am I?

Lets say that you assign something that is fill in the blank, one work answer, cross word, etc and you give a completion grade (for the most part). Now lets say that you have one student that was smart enough to copy crucnch that assignment right before class and another student that simple looks you in the eye and says, "I didn't do it, can I turn it in later?" Do you really think that that copy crunch student deserves the points (for practicing/learning) and the other student deserves an irreversable zero? Where is the logic in that?
Aren't we trying to teach integrity, communicaton, self organization and respect? By having extremely rigid rules and punishment for breaking those rules what exactly are we teaching? I would imagine that students in this ridgid setting are more liking to lie and cheat. Why? Because there is little to no alternative for them if they don't for some reason reach the bar the first time. They often aren't offered the chance to show honesty, ask for an extention, given respect or given the opportunity to be listened to.

As a parent I have read research after research that tells us over and over again that punishment cures the behavior short term, but does nothing to change long term behavior. And although punishment seems to fix the problem at that moment I would argue that if you look at a students behavior over time (that have been continually punished) their behavior is almost exactly the same. Please argue with me if you think I am wrong.
I think we teach respect by giving it an modeling it. My mom use to tell me, "Who you are speaks so loudly that I can't hear what you are saying!" Meaning we can tell kids 1000 times to be respectful, honest, to communicate their needs to us, etc., but until we live this theory and model it, they won't get it.

I realize that many will argue part of school is learning the system and what about the students who are just plain lazy Janes. I would argue first of all that isn't the system what we are trying to change to be 21st century and global? Why do they need to learn the loops holes in a system that we are questioning some of the logic behind (at least on certain things)?
Also what about lazy Janes? Let's find out what is really going on with them and discuss other stradegies because in my opinion, the zeros and punishments aren't changing their outlook, behavior, or motivation.
I am ranting a bit, but it is frustrating to see things implemented in classrooms that have been proven over and over again not to work for kids. Or maybe I am just way out there :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Don't worry, every time you think you're "way out there," remember that I'm much farther out there and will always make you look sane in comparison.

I do think we are working on changing the system, and I get frustrated as well when "the system" is thrown up as an excuse not to even consider changes. There are definitely some legitimate concerns that we need to talk about, and I'm not sure what the best approach is, but we shouldn't let the excuse of "the system" shut down the conversations. Because, after all, aren't we an awfully large part of "the system?"

Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home