Kitch's Blog

Tuesday, September 05, 2006


Take 5: I would like to get into learning and discussing the constructivist approach in our 20th century cohert. I want to start integrating more activities using this approach/methodology. I have a great deal of questions. Many of my lessons lend themselves well to this approach and I have had an abundance of success having the students truly "create" their learning. However, there are some areas of my content in which I seem to greatly struggle with how to use this approach (for example an extremely confusing new grammar point). At some point, I feel like a direct instruction (even if only for a few minutes) is essential. Do I just have enormous growth ahead of me, or are there times for direct instruction?

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Not that I'm an expert, but I think there are definitely times for direct instruction. And everything I've read by folks who support constructivist methodology would agree with that. You just don't want to use direct instruction for things that the students can learn better in other ways. I would think that a particular point of grammar is something that probably just has to be "told" to the students.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 8:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home