Kitch's Blog

Wednesday, September 13, 2006


So, I think I may have answered my own question, "Is there a place for "rote" learning". I have been researching the constructivist approach to teaching and have been finding some thought provoking things for me to think about, ponder and hopefully use to integrate new teaching methodologies/lessons into my classroom. Here are some of my findings:

1. "We have at least two different types of memory: a spatial memory system, and a set of systems for rote learning" (p. 85). Teaching that heavily emphasizes rote learning does not promote spatial, experienced learning and can inhibit understanding.
2. "The brain processes parts and wholes simultaneously" (p. 83). People have difficulty learning when either parts or wholes are overlooked.
3."Emotions are critical to patterning" (p. 82). Learning is influenced by emotions, feelings, and attitudes.
There were more at this web site and others, but for some reason, these three struck a cord with me. Do I incorporate spatial and rote memory? Parts and the whole simultaneously? And am I promoting emotions and attitudes that drive students to critical thinking and the motivation to learn in my class?
http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/envrnmnt/drugfree/sa3const.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home