Kitch's Blog

Monday, October 02, 2006


Right now I am in a full out battle on how to get students to STUDY! Not just sit down and look at the new words to be memorized and not just having them be able to look at the Spanish word and know the English word, but internalize the material: Know what the word means and how to use it, spell it, and manipulate it out of thin air! We work on all types of methods in class like word associations, connecting the word to prior words learned that are similar, and study techniques like flash cards and word webs to help them, but the students don't seem to be putting in the time. I am finding that whatever the approach (rote or constructivist) there is still a need for studying and looking at the new material many times to learn it. I would love to hear any suggestions for improving this. I realize the students have more on their minds than Spanish, but I think they can all spare 10 minutes a night for my course!

1 Comments:

Blogger Wallace said...

I think that this is a big concern over every course. I believe that students do not know how to study properly. They may spend hours looking over material but will not really gather any knowledge from it. I think that we need a freshman (or earlier) class that deals with study habits and skills. I also think that getting students excited about learning will help with them wanting to know information.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home